Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A dog owner's changing scenario In India


I am a folloer of a website called, www.dogspot.in,
a website in India exclusively for canine related matters, breeding, selling, buying, health and nutrition, wellness, behavioural training, etc. I have noticed that in the 1.5 years or so, I have been a member, there have been rapid changes in a dog owner's world in India too.

As a kid, I remember my friends who had dogs gave them only human food. Rotis dipped in milk, table scraps, etc. Now there are at least 5 brands of dry dog food in India, seeking to carve out their niche. Mind you, dry dog food is still an expensive commodity for the average middle income dog owner, but I am told that the trend is catching on soon. People have started moving away from home food to these branded dog food. As far as North India is concerned, (New Delhi and surrounding areas), there are pet resorts, pet kennels, dog grooming salons. These were unheard of in the 1990's. Now there is a Mr. Richardson, establishing his dog behavior training camp, in New Delhi. I am sure he will have many followers.

The truth still remains that this is still an elite, or high income group. Most people have dogs for the sole purpose of being a guard dog. In USA, however, it is the other way around. Most people have dogs for companuionship, as a family pet.
As my father in law correctly put it, " My son spends 10 dollars for his haircut,and 60 dollars for his dog's haircut."




Google















No comments: