Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Misuse of medical care


The following incident is narrated only on personal experience, and is based on personal opinion. There is no attempt to generalize anything or anyone's health condition,.

Over the course of past 10 days, I have had to walk the dog of one of my neighbors. We know he falls ill frequently, has a heart condition he is battling with, that leads his heart rate to skyrocket, makes him breathless and faint. I knew his dog was left alone and untended to, until he came back from the hospital. Therefore, I gave him my number, and told him to get in touch with me anytime he is hospitalized and needs someone to walk his dog.

So keeping this in mind, he called me one Saturday morning, saying that he had been rushed to hospital the previous night. He wanted me to walk his dog until his return. I did so. The poor thing, was quite lonely, starved for affection,and I spent extra time, petting her, scratching her ears etc. A few days later, he calls me again, saying that he was taken to hospital again, and the doctors were keeping him overnight to check what was wrong. Again, i told him not to worry about his dog,and that I would walk her until he got back,. Until now, he had not paid me a single penny, claiming that he would pay me when he got some money in hand. He didn't have money because he was unemployed, on disability insurance,and had not found any job yet. So his dues to me had come up to twenty five dollars.

Now, my observation against this person, is that, in spite of a heart condition, he smokes regularly. He walks around , going to check his mail, in the peak afternoon sun, instead of taking rest. He is sweating profusely, by the time he is near his house. He has been told to take it easy,
and not exert himself. In fact, I have seen him become breathless after one such visit to the mailbox,at 2:30 in the afternoon. The people at the sales office called 911 for him.

I do not see how summoning the emergency response vehicles twice a week is going to help keep his heart in shape, if this guy smokes so much. Its a gross disrespect of other people;s time, money and effort. Since one cannot be denied medical attention here, he is rushed to the nearest hospital every time. The expense of all this is going to fall on the head of the wage earner, the tax payer.

A pack of Marlboro's costs around 6 dollars,and this guy has money to blow up in smoke, but not pay me 5 dollars for walking his dog.

The good thing in all this, is that he at least does not pinch pennies in taking care of his dog. She has her food, treats, toys etc. And , he told me that after his most recent visit to the ER, the doctors found out what was wrong., His regular physician had mixed up his medication, and given him 2 medicines that worked against each other. So, the doctors in the ER were going to contact his physician and let him know of the error., In the meantime, he has been told to stop taking whatever counteracted against his system.




Google















No comments: